Thursday, June 14, 2018

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas
Published by Bloomsbury on May 2, 2017
Genres: Fiction, Fantasy, Young Adult, New Adult, Romance
Pages: 699

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's manoeuvrings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit – and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.



As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords – and hunt for allies in unexpected places.





WARNING: SLIGHT SPOILERS
Upon finishing the second book of the A Court of Thorns and Roses series, we were left with a major promise of things to come, a cliffhanger of sorts. Feyre, now the High Lady of the Night Court, had returned to enemy territory – the Spring Court, side by side with Tamlin and Lucien. I had no idea what to expect, thousands of possibilities running through my mind as I searched the internet for fanart, aesthetics, quotes, and theories. A totally healthy way of dealing with the book hangover I had, mind you. I highly recommend it.

So, of course, the first thing I did when I got A Court of Wings and Ruin in my greedy hands was stare at the cover and drink in every detail. There is the ever present, somewhat vague, image of Feyre. However, she wears a beautiful evening gown, reminiscent of the night sky, dark with sheer overlay and shining pieces that resemble stars. This is not too different from the dark clothes we have seen her in from the beginning, but it is slightly more glamorous in my opinion. Gone are the feathers and chainmail-esque bits from A Court of Thorns and Roses, as is the outfit from the second book. An outfit that, in hindsight, heavily reminds me of Illyrian wings and armor, but this is not all that has changed. Feyre’s tattoo is gone, replaced with the new one on the opposite hand, not surprising after the events of book two, but in that hands is a dangerous looking dagger – hinting at danger, threats, court espionage and war. The forest green background with smoke spoke war and desolation. My thoughts when I saw that? “Sign. Me. Up.”

"Lucien only nodded. But I felt his gaze on my back, fixed right on my spine, as I headed downstairs. To see Ianthe. 


And at last decide how I was going to shred her into pieces." 

As for the story, a lot happened. We saw a lot of things we were most likely expecting, from Elain and Nesta struggling to adapt and the king of Hybern being the big bad wolf to Ianthe and Tamlin being problematic, to say the least. So the action in this story was great as was the court espionage and cutthroat quality to the character decisions. The court tension and manipulation from Feyre and the supporting characters was amazing. Each step deliberately executed, filled with tension and anticipation, reminding me of some royal historical fiction I have read over the years. There was more than one where I found myself unable to put the novel down, excited and rooting for characters and waiting for plans to fall into place.

"A backhanded blow to the face, so hard my teeth went through my lip. 


He struck again before I could even fall, a punch to my gut that ripped the air from my lungs." 

The action was cinematic, executed concisely without giving up visualization. Scenes did not suffere from being to wordy and dull or dragged down. However, the story was not packed with action from beginning to end like I had expected. Sarah J. Maas has a way with words that creates a rhythm in her stories, there is an ebb and flow to them that often balances action and plot with character development. I found that to be a little lacking in A Court of Wings and Ruin. The scenery and introduction to more courts and Fae was executed well, imagery and world building complex and full, but the action was very heavy in some parts and almost nonexistent in others. I understand preparing for war takes time, strategy and game plans take time, but it seems to be quite a bit of buildup and then a short war. Another form of action would be the sex scenes. There were quite a few in this installment. I, personally, don’t mind, but there was nothing that really grabbed my attention in them. I honestly found myself skimming and even rolling my eyes at points – please, no more hissing or growling, please. Luckily, the new environments and introductions to new characters could make up for this.

"If the palace above the Court of Nightmares had been crafted of moonstone, this was made from … sunstone. I didn’t have a word for the near-opalescent golden stone that seemed to hold the gleaming of a thousand sunrises within it." 

As we all know, Sarah J. Maas creates scenes which can be captured by the mind’s eye, but it is not forced to adhere solely to that. This is something that has been a wonderful aspect to all her writing. It is one of the reasons I fell in love with both her series. Her descriptions are open-ended enough that one can imagine beyond the words. I would not say it was consistently rich and powerful like it has been in the past however, some environments seemed to suffer from glossing over. The Dawn Court was breathtaking, and honestly, I wonder why it was not considered for the cover. Just saying. Sadly, the Dawn Court received a huge amount of attention, but some areas did not. I was a little disappointed, but not to the point that I stopped reading.

"Lucien squeezed our linked arms as we rounded a hedge, the house rising up before us. “You are a better friend to me, Feyre,” he said quietly, “than I ever was to you.”"

A Court of Wings and Ruin does not compare to the previous book, A Court of Mist and Fury, when I think about character development. The second book of the series was packed to the brim with character introductions and development, of backgrounds and relationships. However, that fell a bit to the wayside in this one. Feyre’s aspect is somewhat repetitive, self-acceptance and embracing power, but that is when she is not thirsting after revenge. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the anger and sense of duty and protectiveness she has for her court, but her character did not seem to have much more beyond that. As for Rhysand, I still loved him in this novel, but we see him is a slightly new light. He is not the suffering and healing Dark Prince we once encountered, but more methodical and self-sacrificing. More serious.

One character I found new appreciation for was Lucien. I began to remember just what I liked about him in the first novel and was pleasantly surprised when it was expanded upon, offering more of his backstory and an understanding to his motives. Sadly, he was not as present as I would have liked and I must admit I felt he got a bit of a raw deal. Especially concerning Tamlin, but I find anything involving Tamlin leaves a funny aftertaste. We also learn a little more about Mor, Azriel and Cassian’s stories, but by no means are they nearly as thorough as anyone would wish. This left quite a few evident loose ends to prove their will be more books.

The thing that I had a love-hate relationship with was the new characters that emerged more in this novel, particularly LGBTQIA+ characters. Most were rendered to a low support level, without depth or much (if any) backstory, or even had stereotypes associated with them. I was highly surprised because this is exactly what did not happen in the previous book and I had applauded it in my last review. Helion, who happens to be bisexual, immediately brings up multiple intimate partners at the same time – a “greedy and loose lover” stereotype often associated with bisexuals. I, personally, did not immediately catch it or think about it because the comment was offered in a humorous light with no ill-intent meant, but this could potentially upset some readers. What I had the biggest problem with was there was not much more offered up about him, beyond a backstory that connects to the Autumn Court and potential storylines in a later book. As for Thesan, High Lord of the Dawn Court, not much was mentioned other than his lover happens to be male.

The development of Mor’s character is also a bit shaky. At first, it is heartbreaking and understandable, but it also has tones that can be taken in a stereotypical and negative light that may upset readers as well. In a manner of speaking, someone could read it as the "unattainable female stringing the poor male along" trope. I was so happy with her story development and then once it settled in, I found myself wondering why it couldn’t have gone in a different manner. It was not a drawback completely, but it did dampen her character slightly for me, and there is also no resolution. I can say “hopefully, there will be more in another book,” but if this were only a trilogy with no companion books or anything it would be a story point that ruins part of not only her story and character, but part of Cassian’s and Azriel’s too.

"“You are immortal,” he said quietly. “You are very hard to break.” A pause. “That’s what I told myself.”"

Speaking of Azriel, the scraps in this novel were not nearly enough of him. This is not a good or bad point for the book. I’m just clearly stating that I need more of his storyline because he has solidified himself as my favorite character and book boyfriend. He speaks up more in this book and we can glean more of his history and background, but it is very little compared to Rhys, Mor or even Cassian. As for Cassian? It is quite easy to tell who will most likely be the focus of the next full-fledged novel, I do not have a problem with that. However, a little less predictability and a little more mystery would have been nice.

Overall, this is a 4 out of 5. A Court of Wings and Ruin was good and I liked it. There were multiple times I wanted to or did cry; there was plenty of friendship, love, humor, and action. Despite this, I was left wanting more and not in a good way. The book felt a bit unfinished, with things left untold, loose ends that needed tying. All I can say is, I hope this is not a common occurrence where the rest of the series strings readers along.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts